Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Learning for Oneself

One of the ways in which we are expected to learn in this class is by completing self-tests for the chapters that we read in the textbook. These tests are completed online and are for our own benefit. I think that it is very important for students to learn for themselves rather than learn because they want a good grade on the test.

Dr. Smirnova expects us to complete these self-tests for our own learning. I like how we have as many attempts at the test as we would like. When we are happy with the grade that we have received, we are required to send it to the instructor. Because of the multiple attempts allowed, we are able to see and learn from our mistakes. 
For my personal learning, I have found that these self-tests have been very helpful. By completing the test and seeing my initial results, I am able to look up the questions that I got wrong and learn the reasons why they were wrong. 

I think that self-testing can be used in many classrooms. By not counting the first grade, the student is learning for oneself rather than for the teacher. It also motivates the students because they are required to complete them and submit a grade that they are happy with, despite how many times it takes to achieve that grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment